Since the fall, I've been on a baked doughnut kick. I just love them. They are so easy to make and hit the spot for when I get the urge to have something sweet for breakfast. I recently decided it was time to experiment with new flavors and whipped up what might be my favorite flavor yet--melt in your mouth strawberry. I hope you enjoy!
for the donuts
- 2 cups of all purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup milk (I used skim, because that's what was in my fridge)
- 6 tablespoons of vegetable oil
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 2 eggs
- Make sure you have a donut pan
for the glaze
- 3 cups of powdered sugar
- 1/2 cup finely chopped strawberries
- 1/2 cup freeze dried strawberries, crushed into a powder (I put mine in a plastic baggie and used a glass to crush them)
- 1 tbsp water
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit.
- Prep doughnut pans with Baker's Joy (I love this product because you don't have to worry about flouring your pans since it's already in the spray!!!)
- In a large mixing bowl, combine all dry ingredients.
- In a separate bowl, mix wet ingredients.
- Combine dry and wet ingredients together, mixing until combined. If you are using a mixer, use low setting as you don't want to over mix.
- Slowly add strawberries to mixture.
- Stir until combined. Again, if using a mixer, use a low setting to avoid over mixing.
- Place batter in a ziplock bag and cut off the tip to fashion a piping bag. (I usually put the bag in a glass and scoop the dough in)
- Bake for 10-13 minutes until toothpick inserted into doughnut comes out clean.
- Allow to cool on a baking rack while you prepare strawberry glaze.
- To prepare glaze--in a mixing bowl, combine the chopped strawberries and the powdered sugar.
- Mix until combined, macerating strawberries to add moisture to the mixture.
- Once this mixes down, add freeze dried strawberry powder and stir until combined.
- Add 1 tbsp water to give mixture a glaze-like consistency.
- Dip doughnut in glaze and place on wire rack. Let the Doughnuts sit for 5 minutes to allow the glaze to set.
Linking with Biana, Katie, Linda, Erin and Ashley