For those who don't already know, Daniel and I tragically lost our last home to a fire in 2012, less than a month before our first wedding anniversary. We don't like to dwell on our past, but instead, like to think about our new future!
One thing that is really special to us about building our home, is the opportunity to truly have a fresh start. We get to literally build a foundation for our house and our life! To mark this occasion, we wanted to ceremoniously create our foundation by burying verses, blessings, and wishes under the soon-to-be basement of our house.
Some of the verses and blessings we chose were:
- "The LORD bless you and keep you; the LORD make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the LORD turn his face toward you and give you peace" (Numbers 6:24-26)
- "May the warm winds of heaven blow gently on your house, and may the great spirit bless all who enter. May your moccasins make happy tracks in many snows, and may the rainbow always touch your shoulder." -Cherokee Prayer/Blessing
- "May joy and peace surround you, contentment latch your door; and happiness be with you now, and bless you evermore" -Irish House Blessing
- "Through this gate shall come no sadness. To this dwelling shall come no trouble. Through this door shall come no fear. In this place shall be no conflict. This home shall be blessed with harmony and peace." -Blessing of the Home (adapted/translated from the Birkat HaBayit, a Jewish prayer)
- We also wrote some personal wishes/verses/blessings for our lives together and in this home.
|Muffin, digging holes to bury the "blessing rocks"|
|All of our rocks. My handwriting got so big that some of the verses spilled onto the sides and backs!|
|Daniel burying a blessing rock|
|Finally, I remembered to snap a picture of the pond!|
It was special to literally create a strong and rich foundation for our house and family. Each one of these verses meant something to us, and embodied the spirit of what we want our house to feel like-loving, happy, and safe. I cannot wait to see what memories we create next!